Pieces of the Past logo
Pieces of the Past  •  Quilt Home Page  •  << Previous Page : Next Page >>

Rollin A. Case House quilt square
#10 on Map

Marion Wilcox CaseMarion Wilcox Case, wife of Des Moines pioneer Rollin A. Case, Jr. and herself a pioneer of the Des Moines area, moved to Des Moines in 1918 and lived there the rest of her life. The house depicted in this quilt square originally belonged to her parents-in-law, Rollin Case, Sr. and Georgina Horton Logan Case. Marion, Rollin, Jr., and their children moved into it in about 1925, and Marion lived there for nearly 70 years.

 

Rollin A. Case House

" Located on the northeast corner of 10th Ave. So. and So. 220th St., “the Case House was built in 190[4] for Rollin A. Case…
“This 1,320 square foot (122.6 sq. meters) L-shaped, gable-roofed house is in its original condition. The east-west wing is 1½ stories high and has two 12 foot (3.7 m.) shed-roofed dormers on the north side. The land slopes to the west, and the front porch is several feet above ground level, approached by concrete stairs.
“The north-south wing is one story and has two enclosed porches extending the length of the wing along the front and back. A cobblestone chimney is on the peak of the roof at the joint of the two wings.
“Decorative wood shingles are used under the eaves and in the gable ends. The eaves are overhanging and open with the rafter ends exposed.”

—from One Hundred Years of the “Waterland” Community: A History of Des Moines, Washington

After Rollin Case, Sr. died in February 1923 and his widow moved in with her daughter Gladys and son-in-law Mark Van Gasken, the house was deeded to Rollin Case, Jr. around 1925. His widow, Marion Wilcox Case, lived in it until her death in November, 1993. After she died, the house was sold and extensively remodeled.

Rollin A. Case House photo


Pieces of the Past  •  Quilt Home Page  •  << Previous Page : Next Page >>  •  ^ to Top ^

© 2004 Des Moines Historical Society