Pieces of the Past logo
Pieces of the Past  •  Quilt Home Page  •  << Previous Page : Next Page >>

Draper's Children's Home quilt square
#2 on Map

Photo not availableBlanche Draper, granddaughter of Herman and Annie Draper, the owners of the Children’s Industrial Home and Training School, was the owner of a gift and sewing shop in Des Moines during the early 1930’s. She received the Lorraine Rebekah Lodge’s highest award for community service and in 1934 became one of Des Moines’ first telephone operators. She also served on the Board of Directors for Hillgrove Cemetery. Blanche made the quilt square depicting the Home.

Drapers’ Children’s Home

James F. Hiatt was a successful businessman who owned a grocery store and small hotel in Des Moines in the late 1880’s and was the city’s first postmaster. He built the Hiatt Hotel, a three-story, 24-room building, in 1890 and sold it to a Mr. Hankee in 1892. In 1908 Herman M. Draper bought it from Mrs. Hankee for his Children’s Industrial Home and Training School. The school was supported by musical performances given by the children of the school, who were all taught to play instruments by Mr. Draper. After Herman and Annie Draper died within five days of each other in 1927, the school was closed.

     —paraphrased from One Hundred Years of the “Waterland” Community: A History of Des Moines, Washington

Read more about the Children's Industrial Home of Des Moines.

Draper's Children's Home photo


Pieces of the Past  •  Quilt Home Page  •  << Previous Page : Next Page >>  •  ^ to Top ^

© 2004 Des Moines Historical Society