Gilmore Jackson, daughter of Helen Case Gilmore and Alex Gilmore, granddaughter
of Des Moines pioneers Rollin A. Case, Jr. and Marion Wilcox Case, great-granddaughter
of Des Moines pioneers Rollin A. Case, Sr. and Georgina Horton Logan Case,
lived across the street from the Des Moines Field House during her entire
childhood. She made the quilt square depicting the Field House.
Moines Field House
Located on S. 220th
Street at Tenth Avenue S.
“This facility, also called King County Park No. 1, was developed
on land donated by the Des Moines-Zenith Improvement Club in November
1937. The structure is located on a five-acre (2.0 ha) site east of downtown
Des Moines, overlooking Puget Sound to the west.
“The building is a full log-constructed, gable-roofed field house
with an open front porch. The porch was partially enclosed in 1952. In
addition to this structure, there is a stone-floored picnic shelter, baseball
field with a frame grandstand seating 1,500, and tennis courts. A bowling
green was also constructed as part of the original park.. A children’s
swing set is now located on the site. The grounds of the field house are
completely landscaped with stone retaining walls, steps, walkways, and
drainage gutters. …
“The Des Moines field house is the first of five King County facilities
built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in this style. The main
floor consists of a gymnasium with a stage at the west end of the building
and a beautiful stone fireplace on the north wall. The basketball court
is constructed of maple. There are two sets of stairs leading down from
either side of the stage to the boys’ and girls’ locker rooms.
Daylight basements include a variety of meeting and activity rooms and
a kitchen facility.”
Hundred Years of the “Waterland” Community: A History of Des