Pieces of the Past logo
Pieces of the Past  •  Quilt Home Page  •  << Previous Page : Next Page >>

St. Philomena Catholic Church quilt square
#7 on Map

Lenore JenkinsLenore (Lee) Kamp Jenkins was on the first Board of Directors for the Des Moines-Zenith Historical Society and attended St. Philomena Catholic Church. She made the quilt square depicting the church.

New St. Philomena Catholic Church photo

St. Philomena Catholic Church

The drive to establish a Catholic Church in Des Moines began in 1925, although the first mass wasn’t offered until January 1927, and that in the Odd Fellows Hall. By March 1927, however, a private home at Ninth Avenue S. and Vashon Street (now S. 222nd Street) was purchased and remodeled by volunteer labor into a sanctuary capable of accommodating 100 parishioners. After receiving a donation of $1,000 from Philomena Fitzpatrick of Dayton, Ohio, in 1928, the parishioners named the church after her patron saint, St. Philomena. The church moved into its new quarters at 1790 S. 222nd Street in 1954.

—paraphrased from One Hundred Years of the “Waterland” Community: A History of Des Moines, Washington

Old St. Philomena Catholic Church photo


Pieces of the Past  •  Quilt Home Page  •  << Previous Page : Next Page >>  •  ^ to Top ^

© 2004 Des Moines Historical Society