Pieces of the Past logo
Pieces of the Past  •  Quilt Home Page  •  << Previous Page : Next Page >>

Old Zenith P.O. & Dock quilt square
#4 on Map

Marion Case CunninghamMarion Case Cunningham, eldest daughter of Des Moines pioneers Rollin A. Case, Jr. and Marion Wilcox Case, wife of former Des Moines city councilman Jack Cunningham, and lifelong Des Moines resident, served on the first Board of Directors for the Des Moines-Zenith Historical Society and was a volunteer dispatcher for the Des Moines Fire Department. Marion made this square depicting the Old Zenith Post Office.

Old Zenith Post Office and Dock

The Zenith Post Office opened October 25, 1906, with Ira R. Silvey as the first postmaster. Until 1932, the post office was located on the southwest corner of S. 240th Street and Marine View Drive S., then it was moved to 23905 Marine View Drive S. It became a fourth-class post office sometime between 1918 and 1932, a second-class post office sometime between 1963 and 1966, and then was closed October 4, 1968.

      —paraphrased from One Hundred Years of the “Waterland” Community: A History of Des Moines, Washington

Old Zenith P.O. & Dock photo


Pieces of the Past  •  Quilt Home Page  •  << Previous Page : Next Page >>  •  ^ to Top ^

© 2004 Des Moines Historical Society