- A Star Lake School was built at 2202 S. 288th St.
- Dec. 7 - At about 5:45 p.m., an earthquake is felt throughout the Puget Sound region.
- Dec. 12 - At about 8:40 p.m., the an earthquake more severe than the December 7 quake was felt.
- Buenna School District is formed.
- Capt. Robert Flynn homesteaded between 8th & 16th Avenues South from South 220th to 224th Streets; and between 212th & 220th Streets from 8th to 12th Avenues South. The area was platted as part of Des Moines in 1889.
- April 26 - Rev. Thomas J. Massey purchased Fountain O. and Lydia E. Chezum's property who purchased it from John Murray on March 12, 1886. Platted as the City of Des Moines in 1889.
- Nov. 10 - Star Lake School District organized. School established at South 288th Street and Military Road. The third school was built in 1910 at 3212 South 272nd Street after the second school burned in 1909.
- July 12 - Des Moines Improvement Company was incorporated.
- July 23 - First Plat of Des Moines by Des Moines Improvement Company.
- Aug. 6 - Des Moines Post Office established. Des Moines Precinct formed.
- Sept. 3 - William H. & Clarinda Miller claim 85 acres (north of 192nd St. and east of 16th Ave. S.) & rented Mr. Brown's home site from Gatzert-Schwabacher Land Company. (Purchased in Oct. 1882 from Mr. and Mrs. Oulette.) The land company owned much of what became Normandy Park and the Manhattan area.
- Nov. 11- Washington becomes the 42nd state.
- The Dunbar family settled on 160 acres (between 180th & 192nd Streets from 8th Ave. SW to 1st Avenue South) in the Manhattan area.